We all know the old sayings about cats keeping away mice clean homes never getting pests. They get passed down from generation to generation in every family. Unfortunately, most of these are incorrect. We wanted to take some time today to debunk some of the most common pest control myths and help you separate fact from fiction. So, we picked some of the misconceptions we hear or come across most often. Here are the top five:
- Mice and rats eat cheese: while they aren’t picky eaters, mice and rats actually prefer sweet foods loaded up with sugars and artificial sweeteners. If you’re trying to bait and trap them, something small and sweet like mini-marshmallows or gum drop candies will work best.
- If you don’t see pests, you don’t have them: if only this were true. Most pests are expert hiders—they want to see you even less than you want to see them. Generally speaking, pests hide in warm, dark spaces that you might not check often like basements, insulated attics and garages, crawl spaces, the eaves of your roof and the siding of your home.
- Homes on concrete slabs are termite proof: while this can help keep termites at bay, it cannot completely prevent them. The only way to completely prevent against or remove termites is with professional termite prevention and elimination systems. This is why we use the state of the art Sentricon® System technology.
- Bed bugs are easy to get rid of: this one is absolutely false! Bed bugs are one of the peskiest pests out there—some pest control companies even have a hard time shaking them. Arrow Exterminators is the only company in Oklahoma using state of the art Thermal Remediation® technology which is proven to eradicate bed bugs.
- Boiling water kills ants: this is a half-truth. Yes, boiling water poured directly onto an ant while still boiling will kill the ant. But boiling water cools down quickly, and as soon as it starts to cool, it is no longer lethal to the ants. It’s just a warm bath.
What other pest control myths do you know of that need to be debunked? You can find us on Facebook and Google+. And remember, if you find any creepy crawlers in or around your home, make sure to call the experts at Arrow Exterminators! We’ll get rid of them in no time.
Five Common Pest Control Myths in Oklahoma
Serving the Oklahoma City and Broken Arrow OK areas for over 60 years