It seems like there’s an app for everything these days. Pest control is no exception. While the pest control industry has changed rapidly over the past couple years, the tech industry has changed even more. It should come as no surprise that the two have evolved together and created a host of pest control apps that claim to rid your home of all sorts of creepy crawlers for no work and little to no cost. While there are some benefits to some of these apps, others of them are just plain useless. Today, we want to provide you with brief reviews of some of the top pest control apps so you know which ones are worth the download and which ones are a waste of your time, money and data. Here we go:
- Ultrasonic Pest Control: this app claims to release high-pitched, ultrasonic sounds that deter all manner of insects and other animals from coming near your while it is activated. The app claims it can deter everything from common pests like mosquitos, wasps, ants, spiders and rodents to raccoons, rabbits, dogs and cats. The app description claims it can stop dogs from barking and cats from meowing and that it can even deter large animal like bears and mountain lions. User reviews are mixed. Half of the people gave it five stars and said it did a great job deterring mosquitos and mice. The other half said it did not work at all, the noise was audible to humans (and very annoying) and that there were inappropriate adds in the app.
- Verdict: the app is free, so you won’t be wasting your money. But it seems doubtful it will do what you want it to, so you will be wasting time and data.
- Pest World: this app is from the National Pest Management Association, so it has much more credibility behind it than some of the other apps we reviewed. This app has three primary features. First, when you see a pest in your home it helps you to correctly identify it. They have a helpful identification guide for everyday pests like ants, cockroaches, flies, spiders and rodents to less common invaders like birds, bats and more. The app provides helpful identifying information like color, size and preferred habitat. Second, once you have identified your unwelcome invader, you can read up on them and how to prevent future invasions. Third, when you’ve identified and read up on your pest, the app will help you identify pest control experts in your area to come and get rid of your pesky invaders. There are not many reviews, but most of them are positive.
- Verdict: this one is a winner. The app contains lots of useful—and factual—information and is free. If you’re looking for a good pest control related app, this is a good one to download.
- Pest Control: this app is similar to the first one we reviewed. It uses ultrasonic sounds to ward off all kinds of insects and also claims to be able to stop dogs from barking. However, this app gets terrible reviews with almost all users giving it one star and saying it does not work at all.
- Verdict: don’t get it. This app is not free, so not only is it a waste of time and data, but money too. Don’t bother with this one.
These are certainly not the only pest control apps available, but as they’re some of the top suggested apps in the app store we thought it would be most beneficial to review these three. What pest control apps truly seem to be best for is pest identification and information. Once you know what you’re up against you can decide if this is something you want to attempt on your own with at-home remedies or if you need to call in the professionals at Arrow Exterminators. We can get rid of any pest in no time.
If you need extra pest control advice beyond what the apps can offer you, you can talk with one of our pest control experts. You can always contact us for your free, no obligation evaluation. You can also reach out to us on social media for more pest control tips and tricks. We’re on Facebook and Google+.